Monday, July 03, 2006

Cheese, please.

I’m finally making use of the bridleways (that’s British for pathways). The paths are all quite skinny and flanked mostly by old forest carpeted with ivy, canopied by a variation of relatively low hanging, plentiful trees, and littered with old, rusting metal fences. Along the way, the forests open up to expose the odd paddock, with either their adjoining estates off in the distance or an expanse of hills and the English countryside just carries on into the horizon. It’s beautiful. They’re actually used mostly for horseback riding, so at times I have to step off to the side to let horse and rider pass. The first time I went for a walk, instead of retracing my steps, I decided to carry on along one of the paths which, according to the signs I was following, led back to Headley road. What I didn’t realize was that I would be coming out a good couple kilometers from the Potters’ driveway. Remember what I said about the back roads? Remember what I said about their driving style? As there is very limited refuge outside the lanes in both directions, this was one of the sketchiest strolls I’ve ever taken. I stayed on the outside of all the corners and sidled up as close as I could to the bushes when cars would whiz past me, but I do admit to getting a few "Are you crazy?" looks from local drivers…won’t do that again.

As most of you might know, I am obsessed with cheese. At home, a typical day includes numerous trips to the fridge for a slice, a chip or a chunk of one of life’s many little pleasures. From day one, there was a noticeable "lack of" here, and this is something that concerned me greatly. Well, Catherine went grocery shopping and the degree of my yearning became evident when I opened the fridge to find cheestrings on the shelf and had to restrain myself from doing an Irish jig around the kitchen. It wasn’t until the day after that there came upon me the perfect moment. I went downstairs, removed one from the fridge as though it were something precious and forbidden and returned to my room, as I had no intentions of being disturbed. I sat down on the edge of my bed, facing the window, carefully removed it from its plastic casing and took the first, wonderful bite. I meant business, so it wasn’t until halfway through that I began peeling it apart and I continued eating it that way, oblivious of both the music from my computer and the boys’ playful screaming outside, until every last fragment was gone. Funny, the things you take for granted. Speaking of things that I love, I came across a great selection of antique books a few days ago which, if you really know me, you know how exciting that is. Upon mentioning them to Catherine, she informed me that they are fully available for my reading pleasure. I have every intention of taking advantage of that gracious offer.

I’m enjoying my time alone with God, but it’s so far quite short and I find that I’m easily distracted. After I read a few verses, I’ll spend some time praying and then a few minutes in silent contemplation; so far, I don’t find that aspect very fruitful. I have a lot to learn. I told you I would try to share what God’s been revealing to me, so here goes: I’m not going to lie to you; the first week had a couple lows. It wasn’t homesickness, mind you, and I never regretted coming here; or wanted to come home, for that matter. The way I was feeling forced me to see how little I saw God as a friend and companion. As much as we say and sing "you’re all I want, you’re all I need", how many of us can actually claim that as their truth? I felt alone; I felt I needed other people. I have been and will be taking this to heart and am working towards establishing a life dependant on God and no other. Read Psalm 63; it’s a good one. On a side note, thank you Angela for mentioning in your comment that you felt I was meant to be here. I already knew that, but it came at just the right time.

P.S.
This comment is just so irrelevant, it deserved a post script: My hair does not like hard water. Even with a trace of conditioner left in, I usually can’t wear it completely down without resembling a scarecrow.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

Hi Stacy!! The land looks gorgeous. Love the pics - keep em coming. I am so jealous. I feel like I am in the Lord of the Rings movie when I read your blog.

I loved it when you used the word "sketchiest" in this post. I had to laugh out loud. I could almost hear your voice when you said it hahaha.

Its cool for me to read your blog because it's sort of what i went thru when i went to africa. i was all "alone" and removed from my familiar ande comfortable surroundings. All i can say is that "Africa" changed my life. I say it in quotations because it wasn't really Africa, but it was God. But GOING there changed my life because that's where i finally met God on an intensely personal level. And that was when i was 19. I'd been a Christian my whole life and had never met Him on a personal level such as that before. So i hope you experience something similar of intensity. It's really cool.

Those kids are adorable - and i can just imagine their accent. I've been to London before, so i know what you mean by crazy drivers!! I love all the red telephone booths and the cool taxis. I feel like a royal when i'm there, or in a movie.

Well, i have a blog too if you ever wanna have a peek. Keep writing though - you are a superb writer. I think you should write a book! I would read it (and that says a lot). I don't like reading much, but i like reading your blog :)

See ya chickie

Lots of love,
Kristen