Friday, July 31, 2009

Warning: Graphic Content

There is a very good reason that I have not been heard from lately and that's because I've not left the Toddler House where the volunteers stay (a 15 minute walk from the main house) for the last couple days. The reason for that, I'm sure, will turn any annoyance into sympathy.

On Wednesday evening, shortly after receiving my luggage (thank you, Jesus), I got sick off the balcony outside my bedroom. That was just the beginning of a very long night spent mostly on the bathroom floor, split between time spent sitting on the toilet with a bucket in front of me; I'm sure you get the idea. I have to admit, I was actually quie concerned given the size of me and the amount of fluid leaving my body and the fact that I was so weak, I found myself needing to use the bathroom sink to pull myself off the floor, but I am doing alright; still a little weak and lightheaded, but alright. I've been told this is the Haitian way and there are very few people who escape a stay here without such an experience. If that's the case, I'm glad I got it over with early, and I pray I'm not one of the few who experience it more then once. I slept all yesterday, all last night and the first half of today and I'm sure by tomorow morning, I will be good as new, ready for my first outing into Petionville.

I'm not going to lie, this hasn't been the easiest 6 days of my life, but I'm just going to have to believe that it's only uphill from here.

1 comment:

Sherri Piechnik said...

Ooohhhh... you poor thing. I'm glad it's all behind you now but that must have been so horrible for you...